5 Tips to Quit Sugar the Spirit Junkie Way

Today is day 66 off sugar! Pretty unreal, right? To be clear, I didn’t make this commitment out of vanity or to obsess over some new fad diet. My motivation for kicking sugar came from a deep desire to feel vibrant, healthy and energized. You see, the more I expand my inner awareness and spiritual faith the more conscious I am of how I feel. And as I grow more aware of my physical well-being, it becomes harder to indulge in bad habits.

With my deep desire to feel healthier, I set out on a wellness quest. In August (through doctor supervision) I committed to treat candida, an overgrowth of yeast in the digestive system that causes inflammation and myriad symptoms. One out of three people suffer from candida. (To learn more about candida and its effect on your health, read The Candida Cure by Ann Boroch.) One important way to treat candida is to remove sugar, including fruit, coconut palm sugar, agave, artificial sweeteners, barley malt, brown rice syrup, brown sugar, etc. Pretty much anything that has sugar or turns into sugar is a no-no on the candida diet.

At first, I thought living sugar free would be easy — considering how clean my diet already was. I was mistaken. Sugar is a tricky ingredient that shows up in just about everything. {Tweet it} To make this commitment work for me I’ve had to lean on my spiritual faith and truly surrender.

My spiritual surrender has been the key to my success in quitting sugar. Therefore, rather than give you five recipes for sugar-free desserts I’ve decided to share five spiritual steps to quit sugar. If you’re not interested in quitting sugar, you can use these steps for releasing any other habit you’d like to let go of. Use these tools and fully turn your will over to the care of your inner guide. Expect miracles.

5 Tips to Quit Sugar the Spirit Junkie Way

1. Get psyched to let it go!
Quitting sugar isn’t for dabblers. In order to really release the cravings and addiction, you must desire something else even more. In my case, the desire to feel healthy and energized far outweighed my raw chocolate cravings. Because I was so psyched about feeling healthy I was able to go into the sugar detox with enthusiasm and commitment.

If you’re not sure that you’re truly ready to let go of sugar (or any other habit that’s not serving you), wait it out. There’s nothing wrong with not being ready. I’d rather see you continue to indulge in the habit and simply stay willing to receive greater guidance than force yourself to change. If you try to force yourself into change, then change will never stick. {Tweet it}

2. Know that quitting sugar is a spiritual practice.
My first week off sugar I felt a severe sense of withdrawal. This is crazy considering how little sugar I had in my diet to begin with. The detox symptoms reminded me of when I got sober eight years ago. I felt sick, tired and even depressed. I turned to spirit for help in dealing with these emotions and symptoms. I prayed for guidance. Five minutes later, I found myself guided to check my Twitter feed. As the angels would have it, the first post in my feed was from Doreen Virtue:

Screen Shot 2014-01-12 at 12.07.14 PM

I smiled at the wink from the Universe and accepted this tweet as the answer to my prayer. I’ve been using Doreen’s sugar prayer ever since. Here it is:
dorreen prayer

Post this prayer on your refrigerator, desk or even by your bedside. Use it in the morning and throughout the day whenever you feel overwhelmed by your sugar cravings. The angels have your back!

3. Practice the meditation for addiction.

To quote my doctor and friend, Dr. Frank Lipman, “Sugar is like crack.” I couldn’t agree more. Sugar is a drug that keeps us wanting more to the point of addiction. When we’re addicted there is an imbalance in the pineal gland (also called the the third eye). The pineal gland is a small endocrine gland in the vertebrate brain. When the pineal gland is imbalanced, bad habits turn into addictions. The imbalance in the pineal gland affects the pituitary gland, which regulates the rest of the glandular system. When the pituitary gland is affected the entire body and mind go out of balance.

A major tool in my process of healing my addiction to sugar has been the Kundalini meditation for healing addiction. Follow this video for guidance.

4. Find a sugar-free running buddy.
While I visited London I spent some special time with my friend Lou Lou aka Louniverse. Lou Lou has been on the candida diet for many years. Her commitment to a sugar-free lifestyle inspired me greatly. She turned me on to amazing books and recipes and had fun eating berries with me for dessert. It’s important to find a sugar-free running buddy when you embark on this path. To help you out, I created a Sugar Free Spirit Junkies power posse on my social networking site, HerFuture.com. Join this group for support and community.

5. Get down in the kitchen!

One of the most meditative times of my day is when I’m cooking. Getting off sugar has given me even more reason to rev up my culinary skills. When you kick the sugar you can feel a little sad. One great way to combat this grief is to have a lot of fun making sugar-free recipes! A fantastic resource is Sarah Wilson’s I Quit Sugar. I’ve been using the I Quit Sugar: The Chocolate Edition for all of my dessert cravings. I’ve also enjoyed the I Quit Sugar: Your Complete 8-Week Detox Program and Cookbook for awesome support and recipes.

Cooking is meditation and a radical act of self-care. {Tweet it} Get down in the kitchen and cook up inspiration and excitement!

Oh, and I’m not going to leave you hanging: Here’s my (delicious) sugar-free brownie recipe that I made up. Please keep in mind that I am pretty intuitive in the Kitchen. I rarely use measuring devices or use a recipe. Below is my intuitive recipe for sugar free brownies. Please feel free to adjust the measurements if something feels off to you. Use your own intuition in this spiritual baking process:)

Ingredients:
1 cup almond flour
1 Tbsp. organic baking powder
1 Tbsp. hemp milk (or almond milk)
1 Tbsp. of hemp seeds
1 Tbsp. of chia seeds
10 drops sweet leaf vanilla stevia (or more if you want it sweeter, but be careful with stevia — it’s strong!)
½ cup organic coconut flakes
2 Tbsp. raw organic almond butter (with no added sugar)
1 egg (If you’re vegan you can try this recipe without the egg)
1½ Tbsp. organic coconut oil
Dash of salt
½ cup organic cacao powder (you can add more if you want extra chocolate)
Handful crushed walnuts (optional)

1. Grease a small (8×8 or 9×9) brownie pan with coconut oil or organic butter.

2. Combine all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir completely while listening to this mantra. Remember that this is a meditative process.

3. Once the ingredients are completely mixed, pour the mix into the greased brownie pan.

4. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.

5. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 15 to 20 minutes. Practice the art of patience.

6. Tweet it before you eat it! Tag me at @GabbyBernstein on Instagram & Twitter with your photos. I will regram the pics that make my mouth water!

7. Share them with your sugar-free running buddy!

Sat Nam

1. katie says: January 13, 2014 at 11:13 am

I’ve legit been stalking Gabbyb.tv to read this & update it everywhere! I’m becoming the girl who cried great blog… but THIS is your best one yet! Going to help so many people! Love you Gab!

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 11:24 am

i knew YOU were going to love this one:) xoxoox

2. Jennifer says: January 13, 2014 at 11:22 am

I’ve been waiting for this…HOW you did it!! And of course today I needed the message the most. Thank you as always for your light! And amazing job on dropping all of the bad habits ;)

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 11:24 am

enjoy the tips!

3. Karin says: January 13, 2014 at 11:26 am

WONDERFUL!! Thank you so much! I’m marinating in your books, podcasts, lectures and vlogs right now. Thank you for making it accessible to us around the globe, Gabby, it’s highly appreciated! Love from Switzerland

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 11:50 am

big love to you too!

4. jessica says: January 13, 2014 at 11:26 am

Can’t wait to make these brownies! Sugar is like crack! You are an inspiration. Thanks for breaking down your process, step by step for us.

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 11:50 am

i hope the brownies come out great. send me pics!

5. Lilli says: January 13, 2014 at 11:28 am

Great idea, Gabby! I quit sugar over a year ago and it’s changed my life. The steps you described are perfect not only when you get started, but also for keeping you on track, say around times like Christmas and Easter.. I look forward to trying your Brownie recipe, though the longer I haven’t eaten sugar for, the less sweet I need food to be. Enjoy the journey, and thanks for sharing. Sat Nam!
    PS: Here’s a recipe for sugar-free Chia Pudding I found and am going to try http://kitchenconfidante.com/coconut-chia-pudding-recipe

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 11:31 am

thanks!

6. Puja says: January 13, 2014 at 11:29 am

Dear Gabby, what a wonderful post! I loved all the tips you shared. The one that particularly resonated with me was that quitting sugar (or any other habit) is a deeply spiritual practice. When I was quitting cigarettes and then sugar, it also became a process for deep inner work and to clear out old thought-patterns. Loved the prayer and the meditation. Will be sharing it with my clients who’re on the same journey. Sending you so much love <3

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 11:30 am

oxoox

7. gabriela says: January 13, 2014 at 11:33 am

But you use Stevia? isnt it a sweetener basically? I know its a plant and it has no calorie and no impact on blood sugar but, like, it is sweet! I dont get it. Is it that it doesnt contain glucose or fructose?

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 11:49 am

stevia, an all-natural alternative to sugar and artificial sweeteners. These glycosides do not get absorbed into the body; rather simply pass through leaving no calories. Stevia is non-caloric and doesn’t affect glucose levels. Also, it has no carbohydrates or fat, so it’s great for my candida diet. For me I’m most focused on not affecting my glucose levels. The truth is that I use stevia sparingly as it does trigger a message to the brain saying, “i want more sweets!” If you feel you need a sweetener then stevia is my only suggestion. But I honor you if you’re ready to release sweeteners altogether. Sat Nam!

1. Tom chafin says: January 15, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Awesome reply.

2. Maria says: March 27, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Question: I have seen several “stevia” products which have dextrose or some other sugar-like substance as the first ingredient. Is there such a thing as a pure stevia sweetener? Any brands you can recommend?

I am in DIRE need of a sugar detox….it is most definitely my CRACK!
        ;-(

8. KAtrin - therawfoodsisters.com says: January 13, 2014 at 11:36 am

Great post Gaby! Inspiring as always and I loved especially the part that it is a spiritual practice. Hugs from Sweden!

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 11:45 am

love back atcha!

9. Storm Cestavani says: January 13, 2014 at 11:40 am

Thanks Gabby for posting this. Great advice. Sugar is probably the most addictive substance in the world.

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 11:51 am

the most!

10. Marissa says: January 13, 2014 at 11:41 am

Love this one, especially the prayer! My fiance and I have both quit sugar this year. Thanks for the inspiring post!

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 11:51 am

fiance! omg!!! congrags marissa! big love to you!

1. Marissa says: January 13, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Yep! Engaged in Paris a few days before Christmas! Much love to you for helping me call him in 5 years ago! xox

11. Katie Jo Turk says: January 13, 2014 at 11:47 am

Thank you Gabby for this awesome vlog! My mom has diabetes and I’m trying to find tasty recipes without sugar to trick her taste buds. I want her to live a long and happy life. Thank you so much for all your guidance.

Sincerely,
    Kj

ps: I’ve experienced so many miracles in 2014! Thank you Universe!!

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 11:56 am

go universe!

12. Loulou says: January 13, 2014 at 11:47 am

Yay! great job – I will be your no sugar buddy for life babe xx

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 11:56 am

yeah mama!

13. Mairead Murphy says: January 13, 2014 at 11:49 am

Way to go Gabby!!! Thanks so much for sharing your personal journey, your desire to feel healthy and energized is so inspiring! Peace and Love, Mairead xo

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 11:56 am

big love sat nam

14. clari mompremier says: January 13, 2014 at 11:49 am

I have been letting go of some habits that no longer serve me and these were great tips. One of them is a dietary change. I have been wanting to be completely vegan and I can resonate with feeling that its not a vanity thing. Even though for the last 6 months I have lost weight , my desire came from a place of wanting to live a more compassionate/kind life. My soul desires this more than anything.

My other is reaching a financial goal I have been working on with my husband. Even though for him its a very practical goal, that does not excite me. I want to go deeper into my spiritual connection with God and find true happiness. I am tired of being stuck in the material things of this world, yes I would like to enjoy them, but not get compulsive about them. I have found this has been a pattern for me..desire something, get obssessed about it until I acquire it. It used to serve me as a way to work my manifestation muscle but now it feels very yucky. My new affirmation for 2014 is, “Let things come to you.” I got it from my Yogi tea and it helps me release my need to acquire which blocks my financial freedom..big time!
    Thanks for letting me share…it felt good.
    xoxo

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 11:55 am

thank you for sharing!

2. Lucie says: January 13, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Hi Clari,
      That’s a lovely and open-hearted post! I love my Yogi tea wisdom too!

I write all things about compassionate and conscious living on my blog, so please check it out for inspiration! I also came a across a wonderful blog called “And The We Saved” which might be helpful too!

Thanks Gabby for a great blog! I always find I need a sugar-busting reminder in winter more than ever! Much love x x

15. Jamie says: January 13, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Thank you! I quit sugar for 6 months 2 years ago. Slowly I fell back into old, unhealthy habits, but am back on track. This is day 8, and I am feeling the positive side effects! I have more energy and and am more alert. My body feels less acidic, and my overall out look on life is more positive. I am pinning this post for the more challenging days that will likely arise in the future:)

16. Stacey says: January 13, 2014 at 12:09 pm

These are great tools to quit sugar. I’ve just found out I’m intolerent to sugar and wheat and this will help me so much! Thank You!

17. Steph Robson says: January 13, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Hi Gabby, I’m a reasonably new follower/fan after attending your day in London in December. (Great day by the way – loved it!) I Love what you say about your motivation and desire to feel vibrant, healthy and energised and the more you expand your inner awareness and spiritual faith the more conscious you are of how you feel and how it becomes harder to indulge in bad habits……… I’ve made my focus for 2014 ‘being kinder to self’ and I wondered what was happening to me as I’m really experiencing a shift in my thoughts/behaviours!!! Now I know!! You so often have a wonderful and timely way of articulating what I’m experiencing or thinking. Thank you x

18. Alisha says: January 13, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Thanks for this. I’ve been having this incessant nudge from the universe to detox sugar and tv from my diet, as it’s holding me back from being the best version of me. This post has come with divine timing and with tips I can use to detox both vices ;)

Grateful. xx

19. bronwyn says: January 13, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I’ve been off sugar for 13 days (inspired by your posts on Instagram, but I’ve wanted to kick it for a long time) and I feel so great!! The benefits are SO worth giving it up. XO.

20. Jennifer says: January 13, 2014 at 12:44 pm

are dates okay?

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 1:12 pm

dates are all sugar

1. Jennifer says: January 13, 2014 at 1:59 pm

well…thanks for the response!!

21. Sarah jayne says: January 13, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Gabby, I so appreciate your focus on giving up sugar. After doing a colossal amount of holiday baking in 2009, I finally connected the dots between sugar and feeling down in the dumps. If I want to be depressed and hopeless, all I need to do is eat sugar. BLAM! Just like that. One final step toward being cheerful 24/7 was switching from coffee to green tea. These two different habits were life transforming! I wonder how many people who are suffering from depression,or even feeling suicidal, might just be consuming too much sugar or caffeine. You are providing such helpful support to make avoiding them much easier! Thank you!

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 1:12 pm

you’re welcome:)

22. Barri says: January 13, 2014 at 12:46 pm

How did you discover you had candida build up. What were your symptoms, and what tests are done to find out? Thank you. :)

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 1:13 pm

you can do a candida test through the book i recommend in this blog. check to see if your tongue is white. there is also a spit test.
      the symptoms for me were, i was tired, foggy, weak immune system, skin issues, cysts. many of those symptoms have already subsided:) woo hoo!

23. Julie quick says: January 13, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I will be using this to support me in an effort to cut out alcohol and to stop binge eating. I seem to use both to fill me up and stop the release of pain. Such great advice Gabby and I’m excited about the Kundalini meditation. Thank you for your inspiration and light.

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 1:14 pm

use the meditation to heal addiction.

24. Natalia says: January 13, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I love your website and love this post Gabby! I was told by my doctor to eliminate sugar from my diet over a year ago to treat candida overgrowth and it seemed like an impossible task at the time because I was a total sugar addict. After 6 months of avoiding sugar I go so used to my new way of eating that tasting something sweet did not feel right on a physical level any more. But it was so much more than changing my eating habits: I had to address my psychological addiction and discover what was behind my sweet cravings and what I really desired in my life. I can say that my lifestyle has improved greatly since I embarked on this journey. Recently, I have started having something sweet in small quantities when I feel like it, which is not every day, because I really enjoy not being addicted to it. But I feel new year is the right time to go sure free again and your tips come at perfect time. Very useful and inspiring! Interesting fact about stevia and I love the brownie recipe.

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 1:15 pm

right on! nice one;)

25. michelle says: January 13, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Im going to start giving up sugar from 1 feb I have been wanting to do it for a while now and with your tips it will help much more also giving up alcohol and coffee for a month too hopefully for good at least coffee and sugar anyway. Thank you

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 1:15 pm

go girl!

26. Serease says: January 13, 2014 at 1:06 pm

After my workout this morning I did gabby’s “meditation for manifesting” at the end when she said, “What are you ready to let go of?” Sugar popped into my head. This isn’t something I sat down on my mat thinking about; it just came through me suddenly, (like when you speak before you think.) Finished up the meditation, and checked my inbox, and the email with the subject Vlog: 5 Tips to Quit Sugar the Spirit Junkie Way? had just came in.

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 1:16 pm

wow. nice one!

27. Serease says: January 13, 2014 at 1:07 pm

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 1:16 pm

right on!

28. alana says: January 13, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Your work has inspired me to connect more deeply with my spirit and how I can live a healthier life starting from within. Thank you for this article. Also, I listen to your vlogs about releasing fear and manifesting every day and they have allowed me to let go of trying to control and manipulate outcomes in my life concerning my hopes and dreams.

This article about kicking sugar is just another wonderful and inspiring piece you have contributed to the world. Bless you.

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 1:16 pm

xoxoox

29. Tiffany says: January 13, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I’m lying here in bed feeling terrible after beginning my “no sugar adventure”, scrolling through Facebook apathetically, when this post jumps out at me, leading me to the exact message I needed. How perfect is the universe?? Gabby, thank you for staying committed to your mission and message. I’m feeling spiritually pumped to kick candida in the teeth now!

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 1:17 pm

so fab! keep it up! :)

30. DK says: January 13, 2014 at 1:13 pm

How many servings with this brownie recipe? It sounds great – looking forward to trying it : )

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 1:50 pm

depends on how big you cut your brownies:)

31. Lorraine says: January 13, 2014 at 1:25 pm

How many fruit servings do you have a day? Just wondering about the fructose. Thank you for your guidance!

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 1:50 pm

just one.

32. Victoria says: January 13, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Wow, Gabby you always post exactly what I need at the perfect moment! I literally woke up tired today and said, “that’s it! Sugar has got to go.”. I wasn’t sure where to start; thank you <3.
    Blessings x

33. Tempest says: January 13, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Thanks for this! How long are you on this no fruit cleanse?

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 1:50 pm

I eat apples and berries. I may reintroduce fruits in six months or so.

34. liza says: January 13, 2014 at 1:39 pm

just out of curiosity…why is stevia ok? and no agave…thanks!

35. liza says: January 13, 2014 at 1:43 pm

sorry…just went back and read some previous posts about the stevia. still curious about the agave bc i thought it was all natural with a low glycemic index. thanks again!

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 1:49 pm

a lot of reports are coming out about agave saying it’s just like sugar. i’ll dig up more info for you. i stay far away from agave b/c it is a major no no on the candida diet

2. Jennifer says: January 14, 2014 at 9:35 pm

It has a super high fructose content, usually higher than any other sweetener out there, including high fructose corn syrup. It’s nothing like the original plant from where it came from & has been highly processed — all the stuff about it being low glycemic is all hype.

36. Ivy says: January 13, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Hi Gabby I live in nyc and would love to do a candida cleanse who is the doctor you would recommend ?

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 1:49 pm

if you’re in nyc see dr. frank lipman

1. Ivy says: January 13, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Ok perfect thank you !!!- I actually know someone else goes to him and says he is wonderful!!!

37. Elizabeth says: January 13, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Congratulations on such an amazing accomplishment – I would miss fruit! Just wondering about the pineal gland function you mentioned. I thought the pineal gland secreted melatonin and don’t understand the connection to the pituitary gland, can you explain the science a little better?

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 2:30 pm

read this article: http://www.3ho.org/3ho-lifestyle/health-and-healing/kundalini-yoga-and-use-recreational-drugs/how-understanding

it’s a great breakdown of why we need the pituitary gland and the pineal gland to communicate.

38. Janneke says: January 13, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Hey Gabby,

thanks for sharing this!!
    I agree with you that sugars and sweeteners are bad for you… But I don’t know what to think about the natural sugars. All the information I hear about it confuses me: ‘fruit is healthy’, ‘the sugar in fruit is bad for you’, etc. I just don’t know what is true!
    I am very interested in feeding my body the right stuff. I’ve been vegan for almost a year. 85 – 90% of my diet are fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds and grains. I almost eat no processed foods. It makes me feel really good.
    People who eat raw are very positive about fruit (FullyRaw Kristina, Durian Rider, The Banana Girl, etc)……

On the one hand I just cannot believe that fruit which nature provides can be that bad… But on the other hand I have some skin issues (no other issues) and question if this can be candida….. Is it possible for you to write down what you eat during a day?

Thank you!!

Love,
    a Dutch girl who wants to know the truth about fruit!! :)

39. Lindsay Rose Turner says: January 13, 2014 at 1:59 pm

You continue to be an inspiration on all levels. Thank you for sharing your experience and guidance. You make a difference in so many lives, including mine. <3

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 2:27 pm

xoxo

40. Stephanie says: January 13, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Divine intervention at its best! For two weeks my inner voice has been telling me that I need and will give up sugar. I have been slowly adjusting to my voices message. Every magazine I picked up talked about the evils of sugar…tv had it on too…I was getting the message loud and clear!
    Today is my first day of truly letting sugar go…and here is your post!
    Miracle….plain and simple!

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 2:30 pm

go girl!

41. carla says: January 13, 2014 at 2:19 pm

wow what perfect timing!!!
    i’m on day 8 of giving up sugar.
    the detox symptoms are no joke.
    i’m starting to feel better physically but this post really eases my mind that feeling depression is normal at this time and to be extra gentle with myself.
    looking forward to my own day 66.
    thanks for the inspiration gabby! :)
    xo
    carla

42. melissa says: January 13, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Today is my day 4 off sugar!!

43. Jared says: January 13, 2014 at 2:38 pm

There seems to be a fair amount of sugar in the ingredients for your recipe. If you’re 100% cutting out sugar, I’d think you’d be looking for different stuff.

44. Alison daniels says: January 13, 2014 at 2:40 pm

What a timely post! I had a meeting with a nutritional therapist today to help manage feelings of fatigue and a low immune system though diet. I’ve been recommended going on a anti-inflammatory diet. I think giving up sugar would really help as well to boost my health and vitality. I’ve asked my NT about candida as this was something also mentioned by Loulou when I saw you both in London.

I’ll keep you posted!

1. Loulou says: January 13, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Hi Alison! I couldn’t recommend giving up sugar more highly, especially if you’ve been advised anti inflammatory – could be the boost you need. I’ve come to understand that candida is behind pretty much everything from a headache to a skin issue to fatigue and pain. All my encouragement to you! x

1. Alison daniels says: January 13, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Thanks Lou Lou. I’ll let you know how I get on!

45. Rhona Kamar says: January 13, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Your blog today is my wink from the universe. I am on day 4 of a complete sugar detox and I am ready. It is a spiritual decision as well as for my health.
    I completely agree that cooking is a meditative act!

46. ARIANNA says: January 13, 2014 at 2:52 pm

THANK YOU for this post! It really helps to have others encourage you with this.
    I too decided to quit sugar after drinking a flavoured latte and realizing how much sugar was in one of them. I originally would only check labels for fat and calories. However, learning how sugar can influence your weight really stuck out to me. I have started slow and eliminated sugary drinks, candy, and most chocolate. I still like a piece of dark chocolate. I would like to give it up entirely and am moving forward in the process. It is hard though as when you check labels, sugar is in SO many things.

Thanks for your support in this process and for enlightening people about this. You rock!

47. Sandi says: January 13, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Thanks for another beautiful and amazing post! I really enjoy smoothies but I always add bananas and berries. Are there any fruits that can be consumed? Also, have you noticed your energy going up?

Thanks so much!!! You’re wonderful!

48. Christa says: January 13, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Ha. “The girl who cried great blog”…becoming her too. Love your “intuitive” in the kitchen comment. Have lots of folks asking for my recipes after posting pics…I just don’t know…as it’s usually a little of this, some of that and different every time depending on the fridge or pantry of the moment!

49. Kristen says: January 13, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I did a Whole30 about a year ago and was shocked at
    #1 yes, sugar is in EVERYTHING. I still forget to check sometimes and find myself frustrated I accidentally bought tomato paste with corn syrup in it (so unnecessary! it isn’t like it even tastes better).
    #2 I thought I would miss cheese (I LOVE TexMex and thought removing chili con queso from my diet would be hard). Cheese wasn’t easy, but I didn’t have cravings like I did with sugar. And FAKE sugar was the most surprising! I missed fake sugar in my coffee in the morning (sometimes I still do and I haven’t had hardly any fake sugar – none in my coffee – in nearly a year, its crazy). I missed a sweet treat after lunch. It was a huge surprise to me how much I missed it, how much I craved it.

50. Danielle Stein says: January 13, 2014 at 3:36 pm

LOVE this! You are such an inspiration and I can’t wait to make the brownies and share them with my coaching clients. xoxo

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 4:28 pm

nice

51. LAURA says: January 13, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Inspiring as always, and I LOVE this… “If you’re not sure that you’re truly ready to let go of sugar (or any other habit that’s not serving you), wait it out. There’s nothing wrong with not being ready.”

Thank you!!!

52. Kelly Robinson says: January 13, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Great stuff G! A timely message for me as always. I’m curious about your take on honey. If bees are kept with love, especially Manuka honey has all kinds of healing super powers.

53. Liza Lake says: January 13, 2014 at 4:02 pm

After a year of recurring sinus infections that were taking me out for weeks at a time I saw a holistic practitioner who put me on a candida cleanse last October and I haven’t been sick since. Yay! I had about a week slip up around Christmas but am back on track and feeling so much better. It was so neat to see your post today and thank you for all the great info, tips, and for creating the sugar free group on her future. It’s nice to have others to walk this path with.

54. Georgina says: January 13, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Fantastic – I’m not ready for sugar free yet – but this will really help with kicking coffee xxx

55. Sidonie says: January 13, 2014 at 4:18 pm

It would be nice to mention what Sa Ta Na Ma means, especially in this context; the birth-life-death-rebirth cycle being so essential to the process of healing and curing addiction/habit.
    You sound under the weather, hope you get well soon!
    x

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 4:29 pm

The literal meaning is as follows: Sa means birth (or infinity); Ta means life; Na means death; and Ma means rebirth. Thus, the mantra describes the eternal circle of life: birth, life, death, rebirth.

56. ANDREA says: January 13, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Thanks for the post and the resources!
    This has come at such a great time for me. I’m currently on my second candida detox right. When I was diagnosed with candida overgrowth a year ago, my naturopath was surprised by the diagnosis. I rarely crave sugar. I’m not a fan of sweets, except anything in the burnt sugar family, so rarely consume them. I have few symptoms of yeast overgrowth, except for a specific reaction to yeasty beers (I looove yeasty beers) + ADD. I mostly eat a clean diet, limit my process food, and eat a lot of fresh food! Then recently my new dentist (a friend who’s known me for years) found candida in a plaque sample and he was shocked because he knows I eat a clean diet.

For help with the candida detox I’ve been turning to paleo lifestyle resources because it’s so similar. No sugar, no yeast, no gluten, etc. That approach has helped me find some great recipes, including one for a sandwich bread that I made yesterday (see link to my blog for details). My naturopath told me that on my detox I can continue with fruit in my smoothies. I’ve been using stevia as sweetener occasionally. What’s harder for me than sugar is vinegar in condiments as well as the other substances that feed on yeast. I made my own mayonnaise last night for the first time because of it.

Keep sharing your detox journey! Thanks again!

57. cORRI says: January 13, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Did you give up fruit also?

<3 Corri

58. stephanie says: January 13, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Thank you!!! This article is my wink from the UNIVERSE. I was just pondering how to quit my sugar addition then BAM! this came up. Wonderful as always:)

59. Michelle says: January 13, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Oh this couldn’t have come at a better time!!!! By Best friend and I had a huge talk about addiction to sugar yesterday. I’ve been wanting to do a candida cleanse, but I haven’t been 100% ready to commit. Ironically the Natural path Dr. Appointment had been made and I know these tips will come in handy. Another fab blog. Thank you angels.
    Love and light.
    Namaste

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 8:18 pm

xoxo

60. GRATEFUL says: January 13, 2014 at 9:52 pm

This message is exactly what I needed to hear, as I release sucrose sugar/white flour based foods, as a physical health and spiritual necessity in 2014.

Doreen Virtue’s prayers is great, as are the sucrose/sugar free recipes by Australia’s Sarah Wilson!

Thank you for sharing this.

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 10:37 pm

xoox

61. TickikuE says: January 13, 2014 at 10:04 pm

The very thought of giving up sugar seems hard but its definitely a task I’d like to take on. The way I see it, its a life altering choice that will be worth it in the long(and short) run. Well, I’ve got number 1 down. I’m actually pretty psyched about it. My future self will thank me. : D

62. Charmaine says: January 13, 2014 at 10:05 pm

I love how you can take out the word sugar and replace it with whatever you are trying to let go of in your life. I am going to do say the “sugar prayer” daily with my “sugar substitution”, as I am seriously trying to let go of something that’s had a hold of me for many years. I know it will help me. Thank you!

1. Gabby says: January 13, 2014 at 10:37 pm

nice one

63. Dee says: January 13, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Wow I have been anti sugar for years to the point that it made me feel hung over in the morning if I ate it. I fell off the wagon sometime last year and just decided that today was the day to get back to my happy sugar free lifestyle when my daughter asked me 5 min ago to make some “Real” brownies meaning not sugar free…. Now I open this!;)I’m going to bake these instead! thanks Gabby you rock! Loving the miracles;)

64. Karen says: January 13, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Thank you Soooo much for being such a strong ,powerful,comfortable in her on skin woman,your positive light is………HEALING on soo many levels!How mind blowing is it that you are the 3rd or 4th person to tell me about John of God hmmmm( challenge , most have had life threatening illness now HEALED!do why would I need to know John of God…..worthiness) again. Thank you for sharing your Joy. & Love with us so appreciated,Peace,K

65. Katie - Conquering Fear Spiritually says: January 14, 2014 at 12:30 am

Gabby, as usual, this post has popped into my inbox at the exact time I needed it! I’ve literally (about 10 minutes ago!) just finished your book, ‘Spirit Junkie’, and also bought Sarah Wilson’s cookbook on Sunday. Yeees, I think the universe is trying to tell me something!

Thank you again for your support and guidance! x

66. Vanessa says: January 14, 2014 at 1:08 am

I’m getting so much out of everything you do. I want you to know that you and your work have made a significant effect on my life. I am learning so much… how to journal, replace fear with love, connect deeper with the world and those around me, and how to make conscious changes in my life while keeping the intention spiritually driven NOT ego driven.

I’m a year into doing serious work in recovering from disordered eating. However, now after working your program I can say with the utmost honesty that I’m learning to see myself and love what I see more and more. Last year I started a website as a way to share and express my life in recovery. So far I’ve only written a few posts. But now backed with love, motivation, and a desire to share & pass on what I’ve learn I will be writing much more. I’m not sure where my life will end up, but I am so excited to begin this phase in life.

Sending you so much love and light. Thank you for giving so much of yourself to us. I am so happy to see your success and how far your reach is growing.

Love,

Vanessa

1. Gabby says: January 14, 2014 at 1:43 pm

so much love and light right back to you…

67. Renee says: January 14, 2014 at 1:11 am

Thank you for sharing this. I couldn’t have read this at a better time! I’ve been battling with many symptoms due to sugar and literally just realized it a few days ago, after I stumbled across an informational video pertaining to sugar and candida.

I believe in signs and this is truly a sign like you have no idea… that I need to kick sugar for real! Like you, I lead a fairly healthy lifestyle, but I know this is going to be a challenge. A challenge that I’m ready for.

Peace, Love and Happiness,
    Renee

1. Gabby says: January 14, 2014 at 1:42 pm

yes follow that guidance!

68. Sophie Molloy says: January 14, 2014 at 3:09 am

Gabby this post is an answer to my prayers, I have been struggling with sugar addictions for many years and wanted to conquer the hold it has had on my life. Last year in November I brought all three of your books and they are fantastic. My life is changing. The change is slow but those changes are here to stay and I just wanted to personally thank you. You are an inspiration to many and so clearly walking in the path that has been laid out in front of you. Thank you for bringing Gods word, light and the spirit of love in such an accessible and inclusive manner. Here in New Zealand, the word Whaiwahitanga means inclusion, participation and contribution (in the language of our tangata whenua: Te Reo). You embody this concept so holistically and I just want to thank you for your ability to include, inspire, prepare and support us through the journey out of fear and into love. Kai pai to mai. Arohanui, Sophie.

1. Gabby says: January 14, 2014 at 1:42 pm

so happy it served you

69. Rachel Medhurst says: January 14, 2014 at 3:18 am

Thanks Gabby, I’ve been struggling with quitting sugar for the last year. I managed to do it for six weeks, but then visited New York from London and started eating it again. I’ve been using coconut sugar as a substitute, so will switch to Stevia instead :)

70. Ana says: January 14, 2014 at 9:06 am

I am not ready but the desire is there…
    Thank you!
    Xo
    Ana

1. Gabby says: January 14, 2014 at 1:41 pm

all good. don’t start unless you’re really ready:) in the meantime, enjoy your sugar:)

71. Lauren says: January 14, 2014 at 10:04 am

I love this Gabby! I am a dietitian and work with people to heal their relationship with food (disordered eating). Sugar is a big one, and it’s SO important to look at the spiritual side of it rather than just focusing on choosing sugar-free snacks and not addressing the craving. I live a mostly sugar-free life but do allow myself to have it when I truly want it and when it will add pleasure to my life because personally for me, I know complete restriction doesn’t work for me (it does for some people, though!). I think the most important thing is asking yourself how you can nourish yourself with whole foods and what your body needs! Thank you!

1. Gabby says: January 14, 2014 at 1:41 pm

You’re welcome;) xo

72. Lindsey RIDDLE says: January 14, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Such perfect timing — I’m embarking on my own sugar reduction protocol, but it includes raisins, dates and fruit. It’s so easy for me to fall back on raisins + bananas. Even if it’s only a very moderate amount, it still doesn’t feel right mentally — it feels like I’m still reinforcing the habit // craving.

1. Gabby says: January 14, 2014 at 11:05 pm

go with what you feel ready to release:) one day at a time

73. Nicole says: January 15, 2014 at 12:58 am

I’m a big fan if yours and this post has really hit home for me… I’ve been gluten free for almost a decade with some falls along the way… You inspire me to go sugar free, but I want to know more. Is fruit always excluded from the diet or just in the beginning? I look forward to hearing more about your journey and will try those brownies as soon as my kitchen remodel is complete. Thank you!

1. Gabby says: January 15, 2014 at 4:31 pm

for the candida cleanse the only fruits are berries and apple. you can make your own choice on what feels right for you. bannanas and pineapple among others have a ton of sugar.

74. vanessa barg says: January 15, 2014 at 12:59 am

What amazing self-love you exude, Gabby!
    Sugar is the hardest to kick – no doubt. Xylitol is synthetic even if derived from birch (not even .0001% is allowed in any organic product!). Erythritol is highly processed and usually GMO. Monk fruit is always carried by one of those two or maltodextrin, and even most stevia now is highly processed and cut! I’ve been working on this… and maybe those raw chocolate cravings and your commitment to your temple don’t have to be mutually exclusive!! Expect something in your inbox from me re: your stevia raw chocolate <3

1. Gabby says: January 15, 2014 at 4:30 pm

hi mama, i’ve been eating your stevia raw chocolate and I love it. do you think it’s okay right now for me to have stevia at the beginning of my candida cleanse? i’ve heard mixed messages. so much love to u

75. Elise says: January 15, 2014 at 4:21 am

Gabrielle, thank you so much for this post! I’ve actually just finished my first week of going sugar free through Sarah Wilson’s program and I’ve been looking for a way to incorporate a spiritual element to quitting sugar, well my prayers have been answered! I can’t wait till I’m at day 88!

Elise xo

1. Gabby says: January 15, 2014 at 4:29 pm

you go girl!

76. laramealor.com says: January 15, 2014 at 1:14 pm

I am always looking for sugar free recipes. Love this one!!

77. molly says: January 15, 2014 at 11:43 pm

For the meditation, are you saying the words aloud or in your mind? Was a bit unsure re: the slight clenching of the back molars while speaking. Many thanks!

1. Bronte says: January 16, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Hi, you just say it mentally, do it for forty days and loads of people have testified that you will be transformed! Good luck!

78. Jen says: January 16, 2014 at 10:24 am

Thanks for the post! This is exactly what I needed to read today as I’m just starting my sugar detox. Sugar really is worse than crack! I’m book marking your recipe too because I know I need tasty treats from time to time so I don’t feel deprived. Thanks!

79. Kim paris says: January 16, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Congrats, Gabby! I can’t wait to try your sugar-free brownie recipe. I quite sugar in August, along with caffeine, alcohol, animal by-products, gluten and salt — all at once! I’ve never felt better : )

1. Victoria says: January 18, 2014 at 3:43 am

Kim,
      Wow! That is incredible! How on earth do you find the willpower and discipline? =)

80. lucy says: January 16, 2014 at 10:38 pm

hi gabby :)
    just wondering what you ate for breakfast when on a candida-killing diet?
    thanks! :) XX

1. Gabby says: January 18, 2014 at 12:18 pm

oats are good. eggs. i typically do oats

81. Victoria says: January 18, 2014 at 3:41 am

Gabby, This post is brilliant and exactly what I need and have been waiting for from you. I am seriously addicted to sugar, but I’m scared to take that step and make the commitment to let go of sugar completely. I guess having a little “crack” is still having it. I just don’t know how whether to go cold turkey or to just greatly reduce my consumption? Please advise- thank you!
    Best,
    V

1. Gabby says: January 18, 2014 at 12:18 pm

don’t go cold turkey unless you really want to and are ready. you can start to add in healthier sugars and reduce the amount of white sugar.

82. Morgan says: January 18, 2014 at 4:37 pm

So I read this article when it first came out. I knew I wasn’t ready to quit sugar however I am ready to cut back on sugar, dairy and carbs. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. For whatever reason, I resisted to watching the video with meditation for addiction and then last night happened. I found myself binge eating again (something I used to do often at night but have not done for awhile). The whole time I was eating, I just kept telling myself it would be ok because I can forgive myself after and move on (and this morning I really did have a major forgiveness moment going into my meditation practice). Anyways, this morning I watched the video and tried the meditation. I found it very hard and I found that my body was very resisting to it and it almost made me want to gag at times. Did anyone else have this reaction? Or is it just my way of getting rid of the addiction?
    Thank you all for listening and letting me be so open. Love!

83. Jennifer says: January 19, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Signed up for the 8 week I Quit Sugar Program & I cannot wait to get started!

84. jenny sansouci says: January 21, 2014 at 10:17 am

you know i’m obsessed with this blog. might be my favorite one you’ve ever written.

#AWESOME
    #BYESUGAR

85. DPowell says: January 21, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Ok, I just made these brownies and maybe I did something wrong….. Is the batter really dry? I keep reading over the ingredients and I don’t think I misse pd anything…..xo thanks gabby!

86. Kyla Macinnis says: February 2, 2014 at 9:34 pm

So do you not eat fruit? or is it just refined sugars?

87. Karen says: February 27, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Thank you Gabby for all you do! I’ve been inspired to quit sugar. I believe I am having a Candida issue as well. I have some of the symptoms and it’s time to release this addiction. Thank you for the prayer, recipe and the meditation advice! Please do a cookbook. You post so many lovely dishes on Facebook! Does this mean no apples??? I don’t eat much fruit but I do love apples.

88. MARY says: March 11, 2014 at 8:45 am

In reference to your parasite and candida cleanse, did you use Dr. Lipman’s protocol? I’ve recently completed Detox by Dr. Gottfried and have eliminated gluten, dairy, alcohol, red meats, sugar, but think parasites may still be issue.

89. Lauren rose says: April 9, 2014 at 7:56 am

I am starting the 90 day cleanse to beat candida. No sugar, fruit, dairy, gluten, yeast, grains, soy, legumes and nuts. This is will be difficult, no doubt, but I have faith that it is for the greater good. I will get a hold of my life, my digestion, my health and for 90 days make the effort towards healing.
    SA TA NA MA.

90. Frank Kern says: May 1, 2014 at 12:57 pm

In the film, they introduce locals to the sport in an attempt to popularize surfing
    as fun and accessible to everyone. Referred to as “plies”
    developed up flat roofs designed by Denver
    roofing contractors evaluate the thickness of the roof by the range of plies.
    However, with the advance of a lot of nominal assistance by way
    of program and the The web, this undertaking is manufactured much simpler.

91. Chad Peterson says: May 22, 2014 at 11:49 pm

Excellent tips on getting over the sugar. You are so right about the withdrawal symptoms its crazy. I was able seriously reduce my sugar by using a subliminal audio. Anyway, I really enjoyed reading. You have a terrific and easy to follow and relate to style of writing. I will definitely be back for more.

92. Stella says: June 7, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Gabby, when u did ur sugar detox did you go off all fruits too? bananas and mangoes have the most sugar right?

93. simply hcg says: June 21, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you penning this write-up and also the rest of
    the site is extremely good.