How to Handle Your Feelings About the Sandy Hook Shooting

How does one handle the news that 26 people were shot in an elementary school, 20 of whom were small children? Managing our feelings in situations like this can be confusing and overwhelming. How do we find any power when we’re powerless? How do we go on with our day-to-day lives when such a tragedy is unfolding so close to home? How do we act normally without fear of going to the movies or the mall or dropping off our kids at school?

There is no right or wrong way to feel when it comes to tragedy. But there are tools that can greatly guide you through your emotions and help you find power in a powerless situation. I’ve outlined three steps for you to begin practicing now. It’s important that our nation come together and open up to new ways of heightening our consciousness. If you’re feeling overwhelmed and deeply emotional about the shooting in Newtown, begin using the tools in this video immediately.

You can meditate and pray to this music

1. Rashida B. says: December 17, 2012 at 3:59 am

Gabby thank you so much for this!

2. Elisa says: December 17, 2012 at 4:21 am

Thank you so much for addressing these topics in your video blogs Gabby! I also believe it’s time for us to heighten our own spiritual practice so we can shine brighter and bring this loving energy into our communities. As you said – it’s the time to rise up!
    Thank you for the music! I will go sit in meditation right now. I’ve been doing ego eradicator for three weeks now and I totally fell in love with it :)
    Let’s all join in collective prayer and meditation!
    With so much love,
    Elisa

1. Gabby says: December 17, 2012 at 12:14 pm

you’re welcome:) xo

3. Amanda says: December 17, 2012 at 9:48 am

I love that: “Be the lighthouse.” I cried and felt very down for the day it happened, then I shifted at night and prayed my you-know-what-off while listening Jewel. ;-) I continue to do so and live in~Joy.

1. Gabby says: December 17, 2012 at 12:15 pm

yes you are the lighthouse

4. jenny says: December 17, 2012 at 11:24 am

hi gabby,
    yes, thank you.
    and yes, i am in new york city and would love recommendations on meditation groups and groups for likeminded spiritual seeking folks in the area.
    light and love for you and all,
    jenny

1. Gabby says: December 17, 2012 at 11:32 am

check out integral yoga = they have free meditations for groups

5. Emily says: December 17, 2012 at 11:25 am

Thank you for addressing this, it is such a fear filled time right now and I am making an effort to rise above and join in the love community

1. Gabby says: December 17, 2012 at 11:32 am

that’s what this time is about

6. Juliet Turalski says: December 17, 2012 at 11:25 am

Exactly :)

7. Laura says: December 17, 2012 at 11:31 am

Thank you so much for this Gabrielle! I was feeling very overwhelmed by emotions and I didn’t know what to do except run into the bathroom to have a private cry whenever it spilled over. This is very helpful, especially being a lighthouse. I practice kundalini and I will incorporate your meditation into my daily practice.

1. Gabby says: December 17, 2012 at 11:32 am

happy it helped

8. Elaine says: December 17, 2012 at 11:32 am

Thank you so much for addressing this. I thought I was crazy for being so emotional about this event. I have a beautiful 5 year old girl and 7 year old boy, and I can’t look at the faces of these 20 children without seeing them as my own children. I tried meditating and praying for these families the past couple of nights, and my mind can’t seem to get past the images of these children and the heroic adults, and the emptiness these families have to deal with now. I just end up crying for them again every time I think about it. My husband must think I’m nuts! I’m just glad to know that I’m not the only one who is completely devastated by an event that I have no relation to. Thank you…I will continue to focus on bringing light to the situation, even though the darkness of it is so completely tangible, even all the way here in Minnesota.

1. Gabby says: December 17, 2012 at 11:44 am

bless you

9. Melissa McQuarrie says: December 17, 2012 at 11:32 am

Thank you for addressing this tragedy and providing us with steps we can take to mitigate the negative energy it has created. Of course, I pray for the families and for the nation–but that doesn’t seem enough to change the crisis we are in as a country with respect to violence, mental health, and yes, the abuse of weapons. I wondered how we, as non-policymakers, could really change things? Thank you for telling us how! We can join our spirits together, let our lights shine a bit brighter, and raise the consciousness and energy of our world in the process! You are fantastic.

10. Nicole Moore says: December 17, 2012 at 11:33 am

Thanks so much for this.

Can you give some suggestions for places to do group mediation and meet spiritual running buddies?

xo

11. Lidija says: December 17, 2012 at 11:39 am

Thank you Gabby. I’m not from USA, but I’m praying for those innocent children and their teachers… Please can you give another link for music you suggest..beacuse spotifay is not avaliable in Croatia, yet… Thank you… love you.. and thank you for magnificent classes How to manifest 2013… It was amazing… I was craying, smiling…and I felt I big shift inisde me…. I can’t wait to get your book….Love… Lidija

12. Leslie Green says: December 17, 2012 at 11:42 am

That was absolutely beautiful. No additional drama, no adding fuel to the flame (of course Gabrielle wouldn’t — but so many are). As a blogger, I refused to write about it, but I also didn’t want to share my practice with my readers for fear of coming across as either not taking the incident seriously, or somehow making light of it — but as I listened to Gabrielle speak, there was depth to her message and Truth to her message. Such depth and truth that I am not honored to share my practice with others — and I’ll start by sharing this video. Thank you. Love.

13. Shana says: December 17, 2012 at 11:54 am

Thank you Gabby. Your words have touched my soul. I know in my heart this is what we must do – to let our light shine and share that energy with others. I deeply commend you for being you. You are inspiring and I hope that our paths can cross very soon. You are an absolute treasure :)

14. Erin says: December 17, 2012 at 11:55 am

Oh Miss Gabby…
    Thank you for this. Thank you for holding your light so that we can better see ours.

My journey with this was similar as most. I actually…for the first time maybe…honestly opened my heart and let the grief come in. And it was one of the most beautiful experiences of my life. I felt a love that was deeper than I had experienced before.

It was a love where I could hold all of the victims in my arms…and not only that…and even hold the shooter in my arms. As there is no one that could do something like this without feeling such hate for themselves…and without being so far removed from seeing the light that they really are.

That is what this event has brought to me…is to love ALL of me…which means I must love ALL who were involved. It wasn’t easy but I knew that my heart couldn’t fully heal, the world’s heart can’t really heal until we love every last piece of this. Love it for what it has shown us.

I truly believe the way out of these kind of things is love…not more rules…but love. We often hear people talk about controlling the bully situation…controlling the people that may hurt us. And I think it is our responsibility and honor for that matter to LOVE those that look SO unlovable. For that is what will heal them…that is what will heal us.

Love that confusion in them that they think their world is so painful that they need to share their pain and try to control someone else. Love that part of them that they cannot love….that, for the moment, they hate about themselves. When we can love that as well as the ones who appear to us as lovable…that is when we will shift.

I have been scared to talk about this shift I had and the fact that I think this way as many of us, including me at times…want to control this situation…but I just feel so strongly that those who hurt need love MOST OF ALL. Those are the people that we need to love…because loving them in their pain…means we can love ourselves in that pain. And we are all one…when one of us rises…so does the rest.

Love to you and your beautiful light and guidance.
    Erin

1. Lucy B says: December 17, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Erin, that was so beautifully, eloquently put. Thank you! Reading your words just did for my eyes what listening to Gabby did for my ears. I appreciate every minute you put in to composing that reply for all the resonance it is having within me.

15. Beth says: December 17, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Thank you Gabby, that was just what I needed!

16. Phyllis says: December 17, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Thank you so much. I feel healed everytime I read something of yours or hear your speak. Thank you for the work that you do

17. Wanja says: December 17, 2012 at 12:30 pm

You are a light. Thank you for shinning so bright. I’ve learnt a lot from you.

18. Jenny says: December 17, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Hi gabby- thank u for this. I am one of the people feeling overly emotional about this …it’s hard to process. I know stuff like this has been going on for a long time but this has impacted me especially hard. I am feeling like I have very little to give today and no energy for action. Therefore I am doing what I need to do by laying low and recharging my batteries. Love and light to you. Xoxo

19. Emily Love says: December 17, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Much Love Gabby! Much Love to the World! May Our Light extend…

20. Ann Goldstein says: December 17, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Thank you SO MUCH for your beautiful words and your light! I have a 5 month old baby boy, Gabriel. When I heard the news, he was in my arms and I just looked at him and started to cry. As many have said, those children are our children. We are all one so LOVE and LIGHT are really the only ways to transcend this. Thank you Gabey for being such an amazing leader and light worker.

21. Gail says: December 17, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Thanks Gabby. This really benefitted me.

22. Christine Bronstein says: December 17, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Gabby you videos are always inspiring. this one is especially important. You are always a lighthouse for so many. We posted this video on our A Band of Wives main page to help shine your light even farther! Thanks for all you do

23. Jo Miller, GPC says: December 17, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Gabby, thank you. Thank you for the post and for the links on spotify. I was also struck by Emily Parker’s dad and his comments here at minute 1:24 http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/video/us/2012/12/16/ct-shooting-lah-parker-family-coping-pkg.cnn I believe this man has done more good for the world with these comments that we will ever know. He is remarkable. Thank you Gabby your post and your efforts to bring peace and love to our souls.

24. Sarah says: December 17, 2012 at 1:25 pm

This was exactly what I needed to hear today. I make a commitment to be my own lighthouse and my family’s lighthouse this winter. What an absolutely beautiful message this is. Love you, Gabby!

25. Gail says: December 17, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Thank you so much. This benefitted me immeasurably and hopefully, as a result, all those around me.

26. sal says: December 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Your article in newspaper was perfect way to heal in any situations. As you have said, love posses such a powerful energy and joy that one wouldn’t ask for any thing else.

27. Stephanie says: December 17, 2012 at 2:30 pm

These shhooters spread fearthat no one is safe.Not even little schoolchildern who should have been able to grow up and have children of their own.The shooters need lighthouses and angels to watch over them.If only there was a way for this to never happen in our country again.Maybe we could all be more compassionate toward our fellow citizens.

28. Corinne says: December 17, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Thanks so much for addressing this Gab! There are so many teachings in “A Course in Miracles” that have helped me cope with my feelings.

I am sharing some of them here for fellow spirit junkies: http://www.fromanxietytolove.com/reconnecting-with-our-higher-mind-after-feeling-the-pain-and-fear-of-the-world/

With much love and gratitude,
    Corinne xo

1. Lidija says: December 18, 2012 at 9:41 am

Dear Corrine,
      I read this morning your post,too …and it’s great… much love…:-)

29. Elizabeth says: December 17, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I live a half an hour away from Newtown….the first funeral just ended and it very close to where I live. I was so upset on Friday, I was driving and lost in thoughts and hit a curb hard and blew out 2 tires. The stunning shock, grief and horror is really just all so deeply overwhelming. I am very angry at Adam’s mother for having guns and ammo in the house where she knew she had a mentally ill son. I saw an interview this morning where her friends said she wanted to teach her son to “respect” guns. He clearly was seriously ill, and did NOT get the help he needed. I believe the Mother was is a state of serious denial as to how ill her son was. What rational person keeps many guns in a house with ammo with a mentally ill person there? I am praying for all the Newtown angels….peace, love and light on their new journeys. Peace, love and light to us all, and please help us all to create a safe, sane and positive, loving planet. XOXO
    thank you for posting this Gabby….I sooo deeply needed this today, XO.

30. Kim says: December 17, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I agree, thank you Gabby. Also I feel strongly to pray for those who do the killing. They must be suffering so very much and are the farthest away from the light. There is no us and them. We are all in this together and yes we are gathering the light workers and expanding that population. I am grateful to be a light worker and send my rippling light effects outwards to all.
    xoxo
    k

31. Dianne says: December 17, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Thank you for your talk. The Kundalini yoga exercises are powerful. I started attended a class early in the year and gain much comfort from them. Thank you for the reminder.Love and light

1. Gabby says: December 17, 2012 at 5:04 pm

i’m so happy to hear that!

32. Amanda says: December 17, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Thank you for posting this message. I’m the kind of person who takes in tragic news and then breaks down several days later, realizing that I’ve been ignoring my feelings about it. Today it finally hit me and the tears came rushing forward. I remembered seeing your email and felt thankful to hear your message of light and prayer to serve the victims of this truly sad, sad tragedy. Even though I am nowhere near CT and don’t have children to send to elementary school, I still feel so sad as if I lost someone I cared deeply about. It’s just so sad and heartbreaking to hear how this whole event panned out and how it effected many innocent lives.

I’ll definitely take your suggestion and embrace my sadness and meditate light and love to everyone who was effected by this and to those who are like me, on the outside looking in.

Thank you for being a great source of inspiration of love and healing, Gabby.

Much love to you!

33. Cocoa says: December 17, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I felt inspired to be a “light house” this morning (before i saw your blog – I love that concept!!) and posted to my Facebook page a request that people be aware of how they are treating each other in every moment in hopes that by spreading love instead of dwelling on all of the negative posts we might all heal. I was immediately hit with posts about anti-gun laws etc, which I have no intention of addressing. It was so negative and completely off base, I felt like any good my post may have done was immediately trashed. How do you deal with that?

1. Holly says: December 17, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Have you seen Gabby on the Oprah Super-Soul Sunday broadcast? She and two others respond to how they respond to negative nellys on the net. Maybe in the meantime, check that out and then she’ll give you some amazing personal feedback, I’m sure… :)

34. Dianne Porchia says: December 17, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Be the Lighthouse! Thanhk you, Gabby. This gives me something to hold onto as I try to comfort and provide some kind of solace to my clients, social workers and friends. Not everyone I work with has an easy time of accepting a spiritual perspective of some higher good when such a senseless tragedy takes place.

I will be conducting a Candle Lighting Ceremony on 12.21.12 and calling in the Light for all the children, teachers, families, friends and public whose lives and hearts have been deeply affected by this incident.

35. Holly says: December 17, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Thank you for this. I was literally waiting for when you’d release something to this effect. I saw you in person on the 10th (I bought some love beads) and online on the 3rd. I feel acutely open right now and will check out NYC’s Integral Yoga because honestly, I’m completely overwhelmed when something like this happens, and it feels like it is happening a lot lately. I’m going to do my best to be light, to be grounded, to be love, because seriously, it’s so hard to maintain, or to look for the light in life when this can happen. Overwhelmed. But not going to stay that way. Thanks again for your work. You are really ushering in what I hope to be a new time. I hope this is the “end of times” in the way that we all stand up and say, Enough with the violence. Love has to be the way. <3

36. Nika says: December 17, 2012 at 7:01 pm

wow, such a powerful message. thank you so much for posting this video, I feel inspired to sit down and meditate and send love and light to others. xo

1. Gabby says: December 17, 2012 at 7:39 pm

do it sister:)

37. Lynn says: December 17, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Thank you all for sharing. I definitely need some extra light right now in the face of this tragedy. I relate to an earlier comment where they described not being able to clear their mind or focus on prayer during meditation, instead unable to stop thinking about the sadness the families must be experiencing..

Would LOVE to listen to these tracks but can’t access them as I’m in Ecuador (not one of Spotify’s locations). Can someone suggest another source?

1. Gabby says: December 17, 2012 at 7:39 pm

maybe you can find them on itunes?

2. Elisa says: December 18, 2012 at 6:15 am

Lynn, you can actually find most of the songs on youtube. I’ll post some links here for you.

Hope that helps!

38. lauren says: December 17, 2012 at 7:28 pm

thank you gabby! love your hair!

i have experiance with ignoring and completely shutting off how i feel about this. i shined alot of light on friday i was very happy about that but its sad to me that its still here … how can i shine more light on this situation?

39. Lauren says: December 17, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Thank you so much for this. You’re amazing!

40. Alison says: December 17, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Thank you so much for this vlog.
    I live in jersey city and work in manhattan. I am looking for a free/low cost meditation/prayer group either in Union Square/Village/Jersey City (Grove Street). Do you have any recommendations? love and light, Alison

41. Katie says: December 17, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Hi Gabby. I think your concept of “being the lighthouse” is such an important one for all people to take to heart. We had a retirement party for one of my co-workers today, and the thing that everyone kept saying about him was that they would miss his positive, joyful spirit because it brought so much light & happiness to the office. We should all aspire to be that person who shines so brightly that everyone notices! Namaste, Gabby. Thank you for being a bright light for so many people.

42. Bella says: December 17, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Hi Gabby! I agree that we need to hold the torch to light the way and be the light hous. Here is something that I have been struggling with. I feel like there is a conversation about justice and truth that needs to happen and whenever I bring up anything that presents a different perspective that asks people to question what they’re told, I’m faced with criticism. I feel like trying to shine a light on truth is creating more darkness through people’s reactions. There is so much fear that it’s shutting people down and they’re going into denial. There’s a saying, “the truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.” I wish that it didn’t have to piss off anyone but at the same time, it’s immoral to stay silent just because of that.

43. Danielle says: December 17, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Thank you for posting this. It is just what EVERYONE needs to hear right now. Thank you so much for all that you do to spread the light, it’s contagious <3

44. elizabeth says: December 18, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Hi Gabby: THANK YOU for everything you do! I’ve only been following you for a short time now (a couple of months) but I am so inspired by what you do and how you handle yourself and the world with grace! One of the things that I learned from you recently was how to graciously handle negative feedback. (I think it was your blog where your mother was telling you how upset she was by some of the negative posts you had received!) That really made an impact on me and it felt so good to just “sit” with that! I felt that same way this past weekend when I watched a video clip of Robbie Parker, father of Emilie Parker who was killed in the tragedy at Newtown. He prayed for the families of all of those who were taken but he also graciously prayed for the family of Adam Lanza. I thought it was amazing that he was thinking of them as well during a time when his grief must be unbearable. In the face of this horrible tragedy there are small glimpses of light that show that these beautiful souls did not leave us even thought their bodies left way too soon. I personally think we owe it to honor their memories by each taking responsibility to make change in the world. I know that’s a mission of yours anyway, but if anyone was waiting….don’t!
    I’m sure you’ve seen the #26Acts movement started by Ann Curry. It’s funny, I’ve been focusing on consciously doing one random act of kindness a day and this was a wake up call for me–why only 1?
    With the power of social networking and #26Acts, we really could prove the Mayans right and end the world as we know it—and start a new one–a kinder, gentler world!
    THANK YOU!

1. Gabby says: December 18, 2012 at 7:44 pm

bless u

45. Donna Danton says: December 18, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Thank you for sharing this, it was indeed very helpful.

46. Gabby says: December 18, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Thank you Gabby. Your work helps us to all remember the power of the light and love within us during a time of such powerlessness and tragedy. It is time for us all to rise up and connect with the Divine LOVE within ourselves and for each other. Thank you for spreading the love. And reminding us all of how important love and light are now and always.

47. Stacey says: December 19, 2012 at 1:00 am

Thank you for sharing this message. It was both comforting and inspiring.

48. Melissa says: December 19, 2012 at 10:05 am

It’s hard to open your eyes when tragedy strikes, but when you do, you see there is light. Thank you for helping to reflect that light steadfastly, Gabby. May we all enhance the light and be reminders of love.
    “I do not know what anything, including this, means. And so I do not know how to respond to it. And I will not use my own past learning as the light to guide me now.” (ACIM, Ch 14).

“Make way for peace, and it will come.”
    (ACIM, Ch 14)

49. Susan says: January 8, 2013 at 5:27 am

Thank you so much for this. I’m going to get the cd you’ve recommended. I grew up in that area, have a child the same age as those who were killed and had a high school classmate of mine lost a child in the shooting, so I’ve been feel quite emotional about this and been looking for a way to help, reach out in some way so I will give what you suggested a try. Thank you so much for your guidance and thoughts. I live in London now and hope to attend your class/seminar in March. Be well. Susan

50. viral marketing says: August 5, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Hello, after reading this amazing paragraph i am as well
    cheerful to share my experience here with colleagues.