Meditation to Prevent Freaking Out

Are you the type of person who needs to break down before you break through? For many years that was the case for me. Before I had Kundalini meditations and a greater connection to my energy, I had some epic freak- outs. Though I had many tools for managing my thoughts, I didn’t have great guidance on how to bust through the really tough times and save myself from a freak-out.

One of the best ways to prevent a freak-out is to change your energy through your breath. Every 90 to 120 breaths the dominance changes from one nostril to another. A powerful way to shift your state of mind is to actively change the dominant nostril using this Kundalini meditation. In this exercise you’re guided to notice which nostril is dominant when you’re freaking out and then switch to the other nostril. When you switch the dominance from one nostril to the other you switch the dominance from one hemisphere of the brain to the other, which will enable you to look at things from a different perspective.

If you are irritated, angry, or in a funky state, practice this Kundalini meditation that’s featured in Miracles Now. In just a few minutes you will be a different person.

In this video I breakdown the Kundalini meditation to prevent freaking out. If you’re reading Miracles Now and want further guidance on the meditations, great news: I created a video series where I break down each Kundalini meditation for you so you can do each one with confidence — even if you’re totally new to Kundalini! Check out the video course here.

Meditation to Prevent Freaking Out

Pose: Sit comfortably in Easy Pose with your spine straight.

Hands: Interlace your fingers with your right thumb on top. Place your hands at the center of your diaphragm, lightly touching your body. (As seen in the picture here.)

Eyes: Gently close your eyes.

Breath: Concentrate on your breath, bringing awareness to the tips of your nostrils. Notice which nostril is dominant right now. It may take a few moments to clarify the dominant nostril. Once you are aware of the dominant nostril, focus your attention on switching sides. Keep your shoulders down and relaxed. You can have pressure in your hands but none in your shoulders.

Continue changing the dominant nostril breath back and forth as long as you like.

Use this meditation whenever you need to prevent a freak-out. It’s also a great one to teach young children. This easy practice will be a powerful tool for them to carry into their future.

If you dig it Tweet it:

Tweet: In the midst of a meltdown, breathe through the discomfort and you’ll come out the other side. #MiraclesNow http://ctt.ec/1c3NV+

{This blog is an excerpt from Miracles Now}

If you’re ready to take your meditation practice to the next level, check out the Miracles Now meditation video program.

1. m says: April 13, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Thanks for this wonderful meditation Gabby. I occasionally freak out with my kids and I always feel terrible afterwards, so this will be great for stopping me before it happens. Can’t wait to learn more Kundalini meditations from you this Saturday in LA!!!

1. Gabby says: April 13, 2014 at 8:27 pm

enjoy!

2. Devi says: February 18, 2015 at 11:38 am

Thank you so much, this will really come in handy for a new situation in my family life.

2. katie says: April 13, 2014 at 4:13 pm

I love you so much! You’re really hanging with me as my guardian angel this weekend showing me exactly the message I need when I need it, including this meditation!

I love you and congrats on Miracles Now!
    ps. wait til you see my shelfie when my paper book gets here!

1. Gabby says: April 13, 2014 at 8:27 pm

omg cannot wait. i have a feeling you may win

1. katie says: April 20, 2014 at 10:51 pm

omg omg omg that would would be a dream

3. ZuzaNa says: April 14, 2014 at 7:52 am

Ah this is so perfect! I sometimes freak out in situations where I have no control. Like flying – I’m petrified! Also spiders, haha. Thanks so much for creating these meditations!

1. Gabby says: April 14, 2014 at 10:27 am

bless you. and you may want to try tapping for your fear of spiders. EFT Tapping

4. Caroline Frenette Intuitive Leadership Coach says: April 14, 2014 at 8:27 am

I know a couple of people who could use this meditation 😉

It never ceases to amaze me how being more mindful of the breath can completely shift our energy and our view of the world…

XO

1. Gabby says: April 14, 2014 at 10:28 am

teach it to them:)

1. Caroline Frenette Intuitive Leadership Coach says: April 14, 2014 at 11:03 am

They will learn better from you :)
        Sending them your way.

5. Jennifer says: April 14, 2014 at 10:20 am

Awesome!!! I immediately felt myself getting calmer even though I wasn’t in the middle of a freak out. Thanks Gabby!

1. Gabby says: April 14, 2014 at 10:28 am

so awesome!

6. Ana Luisa says: April 14, 2014 at 10:34 am

very cool! and so simple, will try it in the Metro, at rush hour!!! I’ve tried repeating mantras, singing in my head, whispering Namaste…I bet breathing will be the ticket – thank you!

1. Gabby says: April 14, 2014 at 3:01 pm

it works right!

7. Hope says: April 14, 2014 at 11:01 am

OMG thanks a tons gabby… I have heard a lot of stuff about the Nostril breathing… i usually would hold out one… LOL
    But you leading us to a conscious switch was absolutely phenomenal..
    Thanks… I feel more peaceful already

SAT NAM!

1. Gabby says: April 14, 2014 at 3:02 pm

8. Jessica says: April 14, 2014 at 11:39 am

how long do you recommend doing this? Should I switch back and forth or concentrate only on breathing through my “calm” nostril. Thank you. Love & Light.

1. Gabby says: April 14, 2014 at 3:03 pm

love and light to you

9. Simone says: April 14, 2014 at 11:48 am

Thank you so much Gabby, I’ll most definitely use it again!
    I’m totally the type of person who freaks out, I felt relived and more at peace, I have the feeling it can be really a powerful tool!

Can’t wait to get my copy of Miracles Now! (it’s been shipped….)
    Grateful love for all this beautiful energy, I’m so happy I found out about your teaching! Simone

1. Gabby says: April 14, 2014 at 3:02 pm

go grab it baby!

10. Kate says: April 14, 2014 at 11:55 am

Such awesomeness. So grateful that your books have opened my eyes to the fact that fearful living and “freak outs” do not need to have a hold on my life. Have been sharing #MiraclesNow tips with a 30 day yoga challenge group I am facilitating. Loved meeting you in CT, glad you dug my #shelfie and hoping a miracle brings me to Omega in June! xo

1. Gabby says: April 14, 2014 at 3:03 pm

wooot!

11. Kelly says: April 14, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I Love all your meditations!!! This one is great and a bit more discrete than breath of fire at work???? You are so amazing, totally love you lady xoxo

12. Joelle says: April 14, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Gabby! Really lovely. I never knew about the nostril switch as a biological norm – so you really gave me valuable information AND when I did it WOW! Immediately I could feel the grounding and expansion. Nice work and thank you!

Joelle

13. terri says: April 14, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Do you think your dominant nostril has any correlation to whether you are right or left brained? I’m a left brain (of course–a right brain would not ask this question) but my dominant notril is right.

14. Susan says: April 14, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Who knew we have a dominant nostril? Love this meditation. Thanks, Gabby!Just downloaded Miracles Now yesterday. Headed out on the back porch with it right now! So excited to learn from you.

15. Carol says: April 14, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this meditation! I am a highly sensitive person (HSP) and find myself ‘freaking out’ more often than “normal” people do and needing a lot of quiet time to keep away anxiety. My therapist recently told me about alternate nostril breathing and I am just beginning to use it. So seeing this video from you came just at the perfect time for me to know I’m on the right track to begin enjoying life more comfortably. :)

16. Elsa Alexandra says: April 14, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Gabbrielle, thanks so much for sharing this. Couldn’t have come at a better time!!! Elsa xx

1. Gabby says: April 17, 2014 at 10:24 am

so glad

17. Ivy says: April 14, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Amazing – wish I had this sooner – had a freak out recently – also love your white top – who makes that and where can I get one – thanks for all the amazing work you do !!

18. K Nicole says: April 14, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Oh wow! I didn’t realise that I had a dominate nostril until I watched your video. When I heard you say it, I stopped and checked – and said – she’s right! And it got even better for me when I switched from nostril to nostril. Will definitely be using this technique in situations where I do freak out before I break through :) Thanks so much!

1. Gabby says: April 17, 2014 at 10:24 am

xoxo

19. GIO says: April 14, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Hello from Germany,
    Nice meditation. It helps us to get more focused during the meditation. Actually I wanted to ask you about your spiritual practice. I practice Kriya yoga, TM and A course in miracles. Sometimes I feel I am not focused in one practice. As far as I remember you also have different practices, right?

1. Gabby says: April 17, 2014 at 10:24 am

i’m coing back to germany in the fall.

20. Michelle Arsenault says: April 14, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Wow! This came along at the exact moment I needed it. I was stressing out about something that always gives me a great deal of anxiety and tried the exercise in the vlog and it was a huge help. Thank you so much!

1. Gabby says: April 17, 2014 at 10:23 am

so glad it helped

21. lYN says: April 14, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Thanks Gabby. You look so beautiful in these videos :)
    BTW I have been doing the Ek ong kar sat gur Prasad meditation and it was mind blowing! I have been doing it for over 40 days now and I manifested something so amazing I feel like I am in a dream! The reality of my manifestation was even more incredible than I could have ever imagine. Without a doubt I know it’s from this meditation. Thank you for sharing and opening me to all these wonderful meditations. My soul sings out for them. Blessings. Sat Nam.

1. Gabby says: April 17, 2014 at 10:23 am

that’s a major one

22. Ashley says: April 14, 2014 at 9:03 pm

This really works! Totally takes your mind off what you may be “freaking out” about! Def putting this one in my bag of tricks! Thanks again Gabby! Any chance you’ll be coming to Charleston SC soon? Would love to see you live!!

1. Gabby says: April 17, 2014 at 10:23 am

i hope so!

23. Stephanie Kirylych says: April 14, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I love this one, Gabby! I’m going to teach it at my staff meeting this week. #SpiritJunkieAtWork

24. John Mason says: April 14, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Thank you Gabby for all you do.

25. Melissa says: April 14, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Hi gab! I tried #4 in miracles now- peace is in your pulse, but I couldn’t feel my pulse. Any suggestions? I am in my twenties and healthy so I’m not sure what I could be doing wrong. Sat nam
    Melissa

26. Barbara Trigsted says: April 14, 2014 at 11:06 pm

Thank you Gabby ~ I’m kinda freaking out here, because I JUST read this meditation LAST NIGHT & I was totally confused as to HOW the heck you do this ! (enter Twilight Zone music :) ) Thanks again, perfect timing !

1. Gabby says: April 17, 2014 at 10:22 am

woot

27. claire says: April 15, 2014 at 5:00 am

<3 <3
    Can't not wait to receive 'Miracles Now'!!

1. Gabby says: April 17, 2014 at 10:22 am

yay

28. Patricia says: April 15, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Sat Nam Gabrielle :)

1. Gabby says: April 17, 2014 at 10:21 am

sat nam!

29. Molly says: April 16, 2014 at 2:57 pm

YES! YES! YES! I am INSTANTLY transformed by this! As someone who is prone to anxiety and quick reactions, this is such a blessing to me! This is definitely going to be a part of my morning ritual, and an incredible tool I’ll add to my kit to use when I am blasted into “survival mode!”

Thanks as always! You are an angel!

1. Gabby says: April 17, 2014 at 10:21 am

so glad it worked so fast!

30. Mae says: April 17, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I love this book. It’s been such a blessing. I’ve struggled for so long with finding time to really tune into myself and take care of my spirit. This book has been transformative for me <3

1. Gabby says: April 21, 2014 at 10:34 am

I’m SO GLAD!

31. Melissa says: April 21, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Love your meditations! I’m a yoga and meditation teacher in San Diego working specifically with stressed out, over-worked people. I often draw on your meditation exercises for my clients. Thanks for the great clips! Ahhh…the world needs a bit more meditation.

32. sheila powell says: April 23, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Hi Gabby! Thank you for this wonderful technique, as a busy stylist and running my own business, it gets crazy and I couldn’t live without my yoga. After reading your books and practicing your techniques I became much aware of a more positive outlook on my daily life. You have made an incredible impact on my life, thank you!!..Sheila j.

1. sheila powell says: April 23, 2014 at 7:25 pm

oops.. I think I posted twice!

33. sheila powell says: April 23, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Hi Gabby! Thank you for this wonderful technique. As a busy stylist and running my own business, I couldn’t live without my yoga. I needed more in life and starting reading your books and applying your techniques and wow, what a wonderful impact on my journey thru life, things have become more deep and meaningful. Even my husband notices the changes!! and my clients!! Thank you..Sheila J

34. Melissa says: April 24, 2014 at 11:26 pm

I was listening to your masters class on HayHouse Radio and picked up on this meditation, LOVE the name of it, and how easy and awesome it is. So excited to pick up your book and supercharge my light with the gifts you have to share. You are the LIGHT. YOU ARE LOVE! Melissa

35. Kelsey says: May 20, 2014 at 11:23 am

One of my absolute favorites from your book! It’s come up multiple times for me when I randomly open the book for a miracle and it’s worked every time.

So much love to you! I look forward to seeing you again soon.

36. Karena says: May 29, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Thanks Gabby, First how long is this session suggested? Also, after a few inhale/exhales through one side do you switch to the other, or do you breathe in one side and out the other then switch? Maybe Im a slow learner or I missed something… lol :) Karena

37. Jennifer says: January 12, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Wow. Upon the first shift in breathing from one nostril to another, I immediately felt my heartbeat slow down, and my overall energy become calm. Thank you.

38. Nora says: April 16, 2016 at 12:21 pm

I’m going to teach this to a group of students I am working with next week.